An outline of the connections of various families to the Island

This diagram shows disparate interests in the Island in the early 20th century.  Lady Ardwall, of the McCulloch family, owned the Ardwall estate, including the Island.  With Margrie farm, on the mainland, the Island was rented by WT Sproat, a well-known large-scale farmer around Borgue.  He sub-leased the cottage to Harry Glover who, in turn, employed Fred Heron, who lived on the Island from 1908 to 1919 with his wife and young family.  Three of these four individuals may be followed up on this site through their respective family histories.